A good SPF should be the last step in every morning skincare routine, every day of the year. But there are a few things that are more specifically related to summer time / high UV index that you may find of help. Click the video below to see my detailed advice on safe tanning/tanning through SPF and how it is that your skin might darken over the summer months even though you are scrupulous with your SPF.
Things to know:
- You may still tan through a properly applied SPF (see video for details), this type of tan will not harm your skin’s health or beauty.
- Sunscreen can be physical or chemical in it’s action – I prefer physical (mineral) SPF, and so does the environment.
- ALL sunscreens need to be reapplied every 2 hours when outdoors in direct heat, more often if swimming.
- Through your eyes and your surface skin cells (keratinocytes) are two of the ways your body detects and processes the levels of UV in your environment and reacts accordingly, making colour pigment to protect your cells. So cool.
- Darker skin tones have a longer-reaching deposit system from their pigment-creating cells, meaning the colour gets much nearer the surface then in lighter skin tone, giving a darker complexion and more natural protection (although sunscreen is still needed).
- Tanning beds and booths are dangerous for both the health and beauty of your skin.
- A sunburn does not turn into a suntan! One is direct damage, the other is a protection system. A pale-skinned person will not experience a sunburn ‘turning into” a suntan. You DO NOT need to burn to tan. (Big myth from my childhood)!!
- Shop our SPF here
In today's video Mariga explains how your body/skin reacts to sun exposure and answers your most asked questions relating to tanning / skin damage / spf
Posted by Skin Essentials by Mariga on Wednesday, July 18, 2018
Do you have any questions about SPF/tanning that you would like Mariga to answer?
Just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, call our Wexford-based skin clinic on 086 3823608 / 053 9145981 or drop in to us, we are open Tuesday – Saturday.