I spend most of my time helping people to look younger and advising on products, treatments and tips for looking as young as possible in a healthy, natural way.
But of course the other side of this is avoiding things that make you look older.
We all know that an unhealthy lifestyle, sun exposure, bad products for your skin etc. will age you over time, but here are some surprising things that I think make people look older than they are and are easily correctable!
1. Heavy makeup, especially foundation. As we get older we need to revise our makeup routines. Many liquid and cream foundations settle in lines and actually make them look deeper.
- Heavy under-eye concealer will even make you look like you have lines that aren’t even really there, particularly when set with a heavy powder. Less is definitely more! Look for dewy tinted moisturisers, mineral foundations and light textures.
- The aim is radiance, not coverage. Do you still use full coverage foundation to mask less-than-perfect skin? Then it’s time to invest in some advanced skin treatments to sort that out once and for all.
2. Overdone botox. Having too much botox or getting topped up too often always looks to me like unnatural, plasticky skin, especially on the forehead.
- Subtle botox should not be noticeable like this (each to their own, it’s not for me, but if you are going to have it, please, please make sure it’s subtle).
- I think that this overdone anti-wrinkle injections can make a 30-something look like a 40-something with botox, not a 30 year old. Like with the makeup, less is more!
3. Exfoliation. The darling treatment of social media posts and clueless beauty ‘gurus’, indiscriminate exfoliation will strip the natural moisturising factor and lipids from your skin leaving it dull, rough and crinkly.
- This applies to home exfoliation product that is too harsh or applied too often, or to salon treatments such as microdermabrasion or peels applied inappropriately.
- YOUR SKIN NEEDS ITS BARRIER TO BE HEALTHY. STOP STRIPPING IT. Yes, the short term pay off is makeup that applies smoothly for a day, but you will end up with prematurely aged skin that is a battle to restore.
- The only safe home exfoliators in my opinion are gentle enzymes of papaya or pumpkin, and then used only once or twice a month.
Mariga has been working in the beauty and skincare industry for over 20 years, and is one of the top trained skincare experts in the country. Trust us when we say Mariga knows all of the tips and tricks for perfect skin!
Treat your skin to our famous enzyme facial for healthy, glowing skin – simply book your treatment online.