Tips for neutralising blue light damage in your skin.
Did you know? We have a new source of free-radical skin damage to worry about now!
Blue light from your computer/mobile devices can have a negative impact on your skin. A recent report claims that four days computer time is the equivalent of twenty minutes exposure to the midday sun and that blue light goes deeper than UVA/UVB rays, accelerating oxidisation and damaging the vital skin barrier.
But don’t worry, you don’t have to bin your phone, just incorporate some simple tips to minimise the impact on your skin. For many of you, especially if you are already a Skin Essentials client, you will already be doing this so no change will be needed!
What is free-radical damage anyway?
Also known as oxidisation, free radical damage occurs when the skin is exposed to more biologically-stressing factors than it can effectively cope with. Our skin comes with naturally-occurring, in-built anti-oxidant capability but this can be easily overwhelmed in today’s world where almost everything we do, eat and apply adds to the oxidative stress load. Also, as we get older, these natural defence components of the skin reduce in concentration, meaning the older you are, the faster your skin will show damage from your environment. Yikes!
Of course, we have lots of help on hand for you in the form of topically-applied anti-oxidants that will offer immediate repair and also build long term strength to aid your skin cells in fighting the accelerated signs of ageing caused by free-radical damage.
Simply apply the advice below to drastically reduce the impact of blue light and other oxidants on your complexion.
1. Using a daily sunscreen with UVA/UVB filter and added anti-oxidants will protect you from blue light as well as sunlight. Another reason to make your daily SPF a last step in your skincare routine 365 days a year! Our daily SPF30 advanced protection cream will give you great protection while also supplying anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals.
2. Great ingredients in your skincare for repair are Vitamins C,A & E, green tea extract, dismutase super-oxide, niacin amide, ceramides, plant sterols. There are many, many anti-oxidants and the best approach is just like with your diet – get a variety for optimum skin health.
3. If you are over 35 your collagen will be breaking down faster then before so it is time to add a powerful serum full of ingredients targeted at helping the fibroblasts in your skin make and maintain good quality collagen for many years to come. Our Hydra Collagen Serum, used under your SPF, gives you added anti-ageing, anti-pollution, anti-oxidant, hydrating and collagen building goodness. No wonder it’s our best-selling serum!
4. Your skin also needs oil-soluble anti-oxidants to repair free radical damage in the vital lipid layers of the skin. Lipid Repair Concentrate is our stand-out facial oil formulated to repair and rebuild stressed, damaged and compromised skin. Use morning (dry skin) or at night (normal/oily skin) after your water based serum for complete skin repair.
5. Get anti-oxidants from the inside too. Help your skin to produce natural anti-oxidants. Eat a varied diet rich in omegas, fruit and vegetables. Keep hydrated.
6. It may seem obvious, but minimise exposure to blue light, direct sunlight and pollution where possible and protect well where it is unavoidable.
7. Avoid ingredients that can irritate your skin, causing a greater stress load on your cells. Worst offenders are perfume, sulphates and essential oils.
8. Make sure that your professional treatments are addressing your anti-oxidant needs. Tell your skin therapist if you spend a lot of time in front of your computer. The Skin Essentials Barrier Repair Facial is a great monthly facial to help reduce oxidative stress as well as the deeper lipid peroxidation that is the secondary stage of oxidative damage, and of course it offers barrier repair. All this and it’s very relaxing too.
I hope you find these tips helpful. Remember, at Skin Essentials by Mariga we are always researching and innovating to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information as well as practical solutions for all skin issues you might encounter, even ones you haven’t heard of yet!
Read Mariga’s book – The Skincare Rules – for easy, everyday tips to help you get great skin – for life!
Available now from Amazon worldwide