If you are acne prone, whether teenage or adult acne, there are some common lifestyle factors that will contribute to breakouts.
While there are many individual factors that influence and trigger breakouts including hormones, genetics, environment and nutrition…
There are also some common triggers that need to be avoided by everyone who is prone to any type of acne.
There is no single fix for acne as it has many contributory factors and some of these vary in severity from person to person.
Also, you need to be very compliant with your routine as acne is always ‘under control’, never ‘cured’. But there is every hope that you can keep your breakouts minimised if you are willing to commit to your skincare routine and lifestyle/dietary changes.
Here are some things to avoid to help get you started on clearing your pimples and spots:
- Ditch the dairy. There is no middle ground on this one, consumption of dairy products directly impacts breakouts. Try almond milk on your cereal.
- Sticking with nutrition, sugar is the next culprit you need to limit in your diet. It contributes to inflammation and so to inflammatory acne. I agree that it is hard to eliminate completely but see how much you can clean up in your diet and watch the impact on your skin.
- Again, a dietary tip (see how much your gut health has to do with your condition of your skin?). Be sure to get your 5 a day and drink more water & herbal teas than coffee. Skin, like the rest of your body, needs the building blocks of a strong, healthy structure to flourish and a lot of this comes directly from your diet.
- Picking – everyone is guilty of it but squeezing blackheads, popping pimples and generally poking at your face will spread infection, cause scarring and definitely not reduce the breakout!
- Use ice to cool a hot or sore spot, it will act as an anti-inflammatory and make the spot clear more quickly. Remember, once you see a spot on the surface, it is too late to do anything about it.
- Using random products without any plan or cohesion. It can be tempting to try the latest internet ‘tip’ (who even starts these viral things??) but always consider the source! Professional skincare advice should only come from a skincare professional. Not a facebook meme. Mixing glue and charcoal and applying it to your face is not something you will find in any cosmetic chemistry textbook 😳. Believe me, if there were some instant or miracle cure for acne, we as skincare professional would know!
- Also, jumping between one product and another will never work, even if the products are great! Getting on top of acne is a long-term situation and even the very best acne control protocols take months to show the results on the surface as the foundation work in correcting dysfunction deep in the skin comes first.
As specialists in skincare, we also create our own skincare products including our very popular Blemish Control Cream.
This is an acne control system that works on all the causes of spots simultaneously to give you real, long-term results.
Another great product of ours that fights congestion and pimples is our Age Slowly Serum.
Our Age Slowly Serum is a super-smart formula is also designed to reduce and prevent visible signs of ageing on the skin such as lines, wrinkles and discolouration.