Caring for your skin over the festive period.
The holiday festivities are underway and while it’s all great fun, usually we are left with the tell tale signs on our skin – not to mention our waistlines and wallets.
While I can’t help to control your bank balance or calorie intake, I can offer some tips to surviving the party season with your skin intact(ish)!
1. Prevention is better than cure. If you anticipate a late night, drink plenty of water between drinks to help keep skin hydrated. (It will help with hangovers too).
Leave your cleanser and a clean cloth out where you can quickly pick them up on your way to bed, reducing the likelihood of sleeping with your makeup on.
Apply 1-2 pumps over a freshly exfoliated face, then go back to bed for twenty minutes with a cup of tea while it does its work. It will awl amazing!
3. Give your skin extra nourishment daily as a protection against dehydration. A couple of drops of Lipid Repair Concentrate, or other non-fragrant facial oil, under your moisturiser every day will ensure that your skin retains water and is supplied with essential fatty acids.
4. Try to relax. I know it’s hard when you have a million things to do, but stress will exacerbate breakouts in people prone to acne or can cause rosacea flare ups in others.
5. If you are prone to spots, go easy on the dairy products and salty foods.
6. If you are prone to facial redness avoid spicy foods, shellfish, fizzy drinks, alcohol and caffeine. (Ok, that’s hard, but at least be aware that they are potential triggers).
7. If your Christmas is more walks on the beach than drinks by the fire then remember you still need an SPF 30 every day and in cold or windy weather I recommend using a rich cream underneath for extra physical protection and repair.
Try our Skin Comfort Cream – a pea-sized amount will be all you’ll need.
8. Remember that sugar is an ageing agent on the skin, so think twice before you have that extra piece (crate) of chocolate.
9. Eat lots of fruit and veg. We all tend to ignore the fruit bowl at Christmas when there’s much more ‘interesting’ fare on offer but be nice to your skin and feed it lots of anti-oxidants from the inside too.
10. A smile is a great facial treatment! A good laugh takes years off you and is the best form of relaxation. Enjoy the time off work, catch up with friends and try not to fight with your family!
Discover our range of skincare products online and in our Wexford clinic: