Vivienne Connolly skincare favourites: the beauty & lifestyle guru gave us an incredible endorsement in a recent article for the Irish Independent and we couldn’t be more delighted!
One of the most recognisable faces on the Irish celebrity scene, Vivienne has an impressive CV spanning 25 years as a model and actor on both stage and screen, and writes a blog on www.vivienneconnolly.com sharing her tips on beauty, fashion, fitness and lifestyle. With years in the fashion and beauty industry you better believe that she has seen it all the it comes to beauty products – which makes her praise for Skin Essentials by Mariga products all the more special for us – this lady really knows her stuff!
“Favourite Skincare Products?
I use Skin Essentials by Mariga products. My routine is as follows: I rinse my face with a micro fibre cloth and apply their Hydra Collagen Serum, followed by the Advanced Protection Day Cream SPF30. In the evening I use the Skin Comfort Cleanser, then apply the Age Slowly Serum, and 1 pump of the Lipid Repair Concentrate – and finally the Skin Comfort Cream”
From the Irish Independent July 28th 2018
We can’t thank Vivienne enough for her support of a local skincare company. It shows that size is not as important as quality (is that the saying 😂).
See Vivienne in her upcoming roadshows #evolvewithviv starting September 23rd in Cork. Find all the details on her Instagram using the hashtag above!
Our products are all available to buy online or you can pop in to us in our Wexford Town clinic for personalised recommendations.
p.s. want to know what treatments Vivienne chooses to keep looking so incredibly young and glamorous? Our famous Pyramid Facelift! Click here for the details…
Today is the last day of our Divine Pro launch week specials.
There are still some amazing Divine Pro packages available, get them now at these very special prices before they’re gone!
Find out more about our highly effective, results driven, brand new and exclusive Divine Pro treatments HERE.
You can buy these special packages online by simply clicking the images below, or call us on 053 9145981 for more information.
You can also avail of part-focus treatments for problem specific areas, we have this amazing special below!
I get asked so much about makeup, and the two biggest questions are to recommend a primer and a foundation.
So today I’m giving you my thoughts about primers – are they a skincare product or makeup? Do you really need one? What are they for? All is revealed below!
What are primers for?
Primers are a step between skincare and foundation. They are marketed as a type of ‘base coat’ to help your foundation go on smoother/ stay on longer/ perform better.
You would not use a primer if you were not going to apply foundation so they are categorised as a makeup product, not part of your skincare routine.
(Although pore blurring primers can be used on their own to create an optical blurring of large pores to give an overall smoother skin illusion).
Do you really need a primer?
It depends on what you are trying to achieve, primers are quite a personal choice really but here are my thoughts:
- Silicone-based primers can be good for increasing foundation wear time on oily skin or reducing the appearance of large pores under makeup. BUT, if you had the correct skincare for your skin type and an appropriate foundation, this step still wouldn’t be necessary.
- As far as making your makeup last longer, silicone-free formulas have some effect but again, look to WHY your makeup is not staying on.
- Maybe you need a better or more appropriate foundation for your skin type?
- You should get 8 hours wear out of any decent foundation with just a mid-day touch up of powder.
- You have to be careful that the formula of the primer agrees with the formula of the makeup, for example a hyaluronic-rich primer will break down a water-based makeup very fast, take advice from your local makeup counter on this one, the sales assistants there should be trained in this with the brand they are selling.
- Consider your foundation application techniques and make sure it is the best for the type of foundation you are using. Some formulas will perform best buffed in with a brush, some work better with a damp beauty sponge. Ask at the makeup counter when you are buying your makeup or experiment at home to see which works best for you.
- I personally rarely use one, normal or normal to dry skin doesn’t require a primer and I think that the foundation should perform alone.
Note: spreading some foundations too thinly negates the elastic effect of the formula and the makeup won’t last, maybe try using a little more to see if this is the problem.
If you want to try one I recommend Camera Close Up from the brand This Works, it is low-silicone and perfume free, great for normal to dry skin.
For oily skin, one of the most popular among makeup artists is the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. This silicone-rich formula slows down the skin’s old from breaking up the foundation giving longer wear time.
I also like the Clarins Beauty Flash Balm a lot but wouldn’t use it regularly as it is perfumed unfortunately.
Great under-makeup products from Skin Essentials by Mariga – our Hydra Collagen Serum has a skin-optimal amount of hyaluronic acid that will give a smooth base under makeup without breaking down the formula.
Our SPF30 day cream is also perfect for under makeup, leaving no pilling or white cast due to our multiple-milled mineral sunscreen formula.
Shop Skin Essentials online:
Happy Thursday everyone!
We have these fabulous skin treats in store to binge on that we know you’ll love…
The first on our Thursday Night Skin Treat duo is…
Hyaluronic + Moisture Boost Serum (U)
This is our ultimate serum to combat the earliest signs of ageing.
We recommend using this highly-concentrated blend of hyaluronic acid and collagen peptides both morning and evening on clean, damp skin for plumping, hydrating and age-proofing the face and eye areas.
Then as an extra little boost to revitalize your skin…
Hydra-Collagen Serum (C)
Hydra Collagen Serum is our anti-ageing serum choice.
This is full of all the ingredients the skin needs to keep up the rate of collagen production, this serum targets uneven skin tone, enlarged pores, lines and wrinkles.
We highly recommend using this serum daily under your day or night cream.
This mixes beautifully with the Hyaluronic+ Moisture Boost serum above for skin that needs some revitalization!
Find these skincare products both online and in our Wexford clinic.
A good SPF should be the last step in every morning skincare routine, every day of the year. But there are a few things that are more specifically related to summer time / high UV index that you may find of help. Click the video below to see my detailed advice on safe tanning/tanning through SPF and how it is that your skin might darken over the summer months even though you are scrupulous with your SPF.
Things to know:
- You may still tan through a properly applied SPF (see video for details), this type of tan will not harm your skin’s health or beauty.
- Sunscreen can be physical or chemical in it’s action – I prefer physical (mineral) SPF, and so does the environment.
- ALL sunscreens need to be reapplied every 2 hours when outdoors in direct heat, more often if swimming.
- Through your eyes and your surface skin cells (keratinocytes) are two of the ways your body detects and processes the levels of UV in your environment and reacts accordingly, making colour pigment to protect your cells. So cool.
- Darker skin tones have a longer-reaching deposit system from their pigment-creating cells, meaning the colour gets much nearer the surface then in lighter skin tone, giving a darker complexion and more natural protection (although sunscreen is still needed).
- Tanning beds and booths are dangerous for both the health and beauty of your skin.
- A sunburn does not turn into a suntan! One is direct damage, the other is a protection system. A pale-skinned person will not experience a sunburn ‘turning into” a suntan. You DO NOT need to burn to tan. (Big myth from my childhood)!!
- Shop our SPF here
Do you have any questions about SPF/tanning that you would like Mariga to answer?
Just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, call our Wexford-based skin clinic on 086 3823608 / 053 9145981 or drop in to us, we are open Tuesday – Saturday.
As we celebrate the launch of our fantastic Divine Pro treatments, we want to give a lucky viewer the chance to WIN our famous TriPollar Radiofrequency Facial!
This facial rejuvenation skin tightening treatment is ideal for boosting collagen production, hydrates deeply and smooths the first appearance of lines.
This is especially effective on jawline contours, under the chin and on the neck, although improvements will be seen all over the face. This is a very comfortable treatment to receive and takes just 30 minutes per session.
Skin Essentials by Mariga is the first skincare clinic in Ireland to offer this treatment.
To enter our competition to WIN this fantastic facial, simply watch our quick video below where Mariga reveals our special Unlock Code.
Enter this code and your details into our competition form (click the button below).
GIVEAWAY ALERT 🚨 Our new TriPollar RF skin tightening facial for one of our followers! Details on how to enter in the video! http://eepurl.com/dABbJD
Posted by Skin Essentials by Mariga on Thursday, July 12, 2018
Competition ends Friday, 27th July, where the winner will be picked and notified. Good luck!
Get 15% OFF Sun Repair Kit
Offer ends Sat 14th July
These past few weeks have felt like we’re living in the Mediterranean, but the drying effects aren’t only visible in the soil, it’s also damaging our skin.
That’s why we’re launching our very special offer this week to help repair your skin from the sun!
For this week only, get our Advanced Protection SPF30 & Age Slowly Serum package for just €95 (RRP €112)
SPF30: As you know you should always use SPF30 to protect your skin from ageing and damage but did you know that Skin Essentials SPF is so much more than a sunscreen?
It contains added Vitamins, Minerals, and anti-oxidants to protect against and repair cellular damage caused by UV rays to skin cells.
Use daily over your chosen serum
Age Slowly Serum: So much more than an anti-ageing serum, this is our Vitamin A powerhouse product.
Vitamin A is the hero ingredient that normalises cell function while you sleep, aiding repair, protecting against further pigmentation damage and keeping your skin functioning at it’s best.
In addition, one of the major ways that UV rays age our skin is by speeding up the breakdown of collagen fibres. Age Slowly Serum is also high in collagen peptides to help repair this damage.
Use at night under your chosen cream.
HOW DOES THE SUN AGE YOUR SKIN?
Sun ages skin by:
- Creating free radicals that weaken our cellular function
- Increasing MMP enzyme production in the skin which accelerates collagen fiber breakdown
- Disrupting normal pigment activity leading to dark patches
- Accelerating elastin breakdown
Counter this with:
- Anti-oxidants to repair free radical damage
- Colagen peptides to boost our own collagen building activity
- Vitamin A to normalise cell activity and repair damage
- SPF to guard against burning